Plcido Domingo says harassment apology gave ‘false impression’
Spanish opera singer says his words had been misunderstood after apology triggers backlash
Plcido Domingo has rowed back on an apology he made over sexual harassment allegations just two days earlier, after his mea culpa triggered a backlash and cancellations in Spain.
The Spanish opera singer, who faces multiple allegations of sexual harassment, apologised on Tuesday for the hurt caused to his accusers, saying he accepted full responsibility for his actions. But on Thursday, the 79-year-old insisted his words had been misunderstood.
I feel I have to issue another statement to correct the false impression generated by my apology, said the tenor-turned-baritone, whose earlier statement had said he was truly sorry without specifically confirming any of the allegations.
At least 20 women have accused Domingo of forcibly kissing, grabbing or fondling them in incidents dating to the 80s. On Tuesday, the AGMA union said an internal inquiry found the singer had engaged in a pattern of inappropriate activity.
Domingo said he was withdrawing from La Traviata at Madrids Teatro Real and would do the same with any venue that might have difficulties with his presence. I know what I havent done and I will deny it again. I never behaved aggressively with anyone and I have never done anything to obstruct or impede anyones career, he said.
My apology was sincere and from the bottom of my heart to any colleagues whom I could have hurt in any way by something I said or did. As I have demonstrated on many occasions, it was never my intention to hurt or offend anyone.
While the scandal had in effect ended Domingos US career, he had been less affected in Europe until this week.
However, after Tuesdays report and apology, Spains culture ministry cancelled his appearance in two May performances at the Zarzuela theatre in Madrid in solidarity with the affected women.
Until now, the situation was different, there was a presumption of innocence, said the culture minister, Jos Manuel Rodrguez Uribes. But at the point when he said it actually happened and were talking about serious incidents involving many women we decided we couldnt go ahead with him present and we told him.
The Teatro Real confirmed that Domingo would not be participating in any of its performances of Verdis La Traviata.
The prestigious beda festival of international music and dance in southern Spain cancelled Domingos appearance on 3 May in light of Tuesdays informative events.
The Palau de Les Arts opera house and cultural centre in the coastal city of Valencia also said it was dropping his name from its opera studio, the Plcido Domingo Centre for Advanced Training, and would no longer be working with him.
The accusations surfaced in August. Two months later, Domingo stepped down from the Los Angeles Opera and from all future performances at New Yorks Metropolitan Opera.
Domingos statement came a day after former the Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein was convicted of rape and sexual assault in a case that triggered a global reckoning over men who abuse positions of power.
Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/27/placido-domingo-apology-gave-false-impression-spanish-opera-singer-harassment-claims