What a ride it’s been! Some of us loved, some of us cried and some of us grew up. The year 2019 was one for the ages. So, for anyone still feeling anxious or fearful of what 2020 will bring, here are 20 reminders that might just put you at ease:
1. You’ve done this before; you got through 2019 and you can surely get through whatever 2020 will bring. There were days, weeks, probably months when you thought that the bad times will never end and that you’re not strong enough, but here you are; holding a glass of bubbly and watching the fireworks light up the night sky. No matter what crappy plot-twist life throws, you have what it takes to survive. Don’t forget that.
2. You’re not like other people. Maybe in 2020 you’ll actually stop comparing your life and achievements to those of your friends (and, more often than not, complete strangers on IG). For goodness’ sake, you need to accept that your life will *NEVER* be like that. But this doesn’t mean it won’t be far greater.
3. Everything will keep changing and that’s A-okay. You have little control over your life and where it will lead you, so it might actually be worth letting go of the fear of change of the fear of the future. Just try to live each moment as it comes.
4. You’re already trying. You are here, in this very moment, reading these lines and doing your best to embrace whatever’s coming your way. You’ve already taken the first steps into the unknown and you haven’t even noticed. If this doesn’t show courage, then I don’t know what does.
5. Go back to the drawing board. Just because something didn’t work out for you in 2019, doesn’t mean it won’t in 2020. The trick is to keep trying and to not get intimated by failure. Give yourself a break and the chance to take the road less traveled.
6. You’re already achieving more than you are giving yourself credit for. You’re responsible enough that you clicked on this article’s headline and you’re trying to organize your thoughts about 2020. I am proud of you, honey!
7. It’s perfectly fine to put your mental health and well-being first. If you were still making excuses and taking on more than you should have in 2019, make sure that in the new year you change that. You always have to come first, no matter what!
8. Saying NO is perfectly alright. Just because you want to stay in or have a better plan for your weekend, shouldn’t make you feel guilty. You only have one chance at this life-game and you should spend it however makes you happy and keeps you healthy.
9. Toxic people and negative vibes are so last year. If you want to say `goodbye and good riddance’ to them, do it! It won’t make you a bad person. But it will make you feel liberated and happy.
10. Quit stressing over things you cannot control. Don’t ruin your health and don’t waste another minute wondering if you did well at that job interview or if you should have answered differently when they asked `what do you do with your spare time?’.
11. If 2020 won’t be your year, that doesn’t mean you failed. We put too much pressure on everything working out right. Just know that if it all stays the same for you this year that’s OK too.
12. Needing to take some time off from the rest of the world is natural. Try not to be ashamed if you feel like you need to go into hiding for a couple of days. Work environments and society, in general, can take a lot of you.
13. Dreams were made to be chased. Don’t be ashamed to chase after your life-long dreams, even if it means failing over and over. Everybody fails, they just don’t advertise it.
14. Your pace doesn’t need to match everyone else’s. Life is not the competition social media would like us to believe it is. Quit comparing and overanalyzing. You’ll get there when you get there!
15. Not everything is your responsibility. You cannot be expected to fix all that is wrong and you shouldn’t allow other people, let alone yourself, to put so much pressure on your shoulders.
16. Changing your mind and wanting something else makes perfect sense. Don’t worry if you find yourself letting go of goals. We’re human. Mistakes happen to the best of us.
17. Love will come through. Don’t despair if 2019 wasn’t the matchmaker you hoped it would be. Let love happen naturally and don’t get discouraged if it takes a little while longer for you.
18. You now know more than you ever did before. You lived through a bunch of new experiences and you met some interesting people over the past year. All this will sure come in handy in 2020.
19. Take care of yourself. Eat healthy, get out in the sun and just take it one breath at a time. You cannot control what happens around you, but you can control how you react and deal with life.
20. You’re getting a second chance and a fresh new start. Cheers to the year that’s just passed and here’s to an even better one! 2020 is a leap year, so this means we’ve got 366 days to try and not totally screw everything up. What are you going to do with that extra day?