A man has died in hospital after being shot in Wolverhampton.
Gunshots were heard in Valley Road, Park Village, at about 21:10 BST on Friday.
The man, who was in his 20s, was taken to New Cross Hospital and then to Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital, where he died.
Tearful mourners left a bunch of flowers at the scene this morning. A post-mortem examination is due to take place on Sunday.
Police said on Saturday they would increase patrols in the area and extra armed officers would be in the city as the “hunt for the gunman” continued.
Officers also said they would be using Section 60 powers overnight to stop and search people “without the need for reasonable grounds” if they suspected they might be involved in violence.
Ch Supt Jayne Meir, in charge of policing in Wolverhampton, said the force was “working tirelessly” to “bring whoever was responsible to justice”.
Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust posted on social media to reassure patients there were “no safety issues” and the hospital was “fully functioning”.
On Friday, a Trust spokesman said: “At approx. 9.30pm tonight a man was brought in to the Emergency Department at New Cross Hospital with a gunshot wound.
“There were no gunshots fired at New Cross Hospital. The hospital is functioning as normal.”
The news comes as last week, two people were injured when gunshots were fired at a pub in the city.
Ch Supt Meir said it was “too early” to say if the most recent shooting was linked to any other incident, but that officers were keeping an open mind.